Sunday, March 21, 2010

Alex

Although I hate him now, and have for years, I was going through some old notebooks and I found this poem I wrote about an old flame of mine -- Alex. I thought it was pretty good, so I want to write it down. Listen:

It reflects in your face.
You look so prim and sophisticated
ready to rub elbows with the classiest of people.
You carry yourself confident
exude intelligence
Dark, worldly eyes scrutinize everything.
Oil slick hair draping your head, just kissing
your neck
combed and tamed.
Long arms extend into fingers of a pianist,
but they play me like a fiddle.
You walk tall on long legs,
carrying you proud.
But it's in your mouth that your duality
is revealed.
Closed lips form a perfect shape,
curved just so,
bent in all the right places.
Beautiful.
And your smile!
The world alights with the surprise
of a clown underneath the poet.

No comments: